Fedora 19 Final TC5 desktop testing

Peter Gueckel pgueckel at gmail.com
Tue Jun 18 19:10:41 UTC 2013

Adam Williamson wrote:

> There's been substantial churn in F19 lately...
> Final TC5 looks like a basically working build...
> we really need to do all the desktop validation testing...

It was pouring out, so I downloaded yet another netinstall image,
Fedora 19 Final TC5, and decided that I would attempt to do some
serious testing, not just to satisfy an enthusiast's curiosity ;-)

It all went great, no disappearing windows, no fading out mouse
pointers nor 10% grey screens.

I opted not for custom partitioning, but guided, as you suggested.
It all went fine, except that the installer insists on deleting the
partition and then recreating it. In the past, with other
partitioning tools, I have found that when you delete a partition,
the subsequent partitions are renamed, so that, when deleting sda5,
for example, sda6 becomes sad5, sda7 becomes sda6, and the new
partition, which occuies the now free space of the former sda5
would become sda7. I do not know whether anaconda would do this,
but I fear not being able to access Fedora 18 and Fedora 17, kept
in reserve in case of emergency on spare partitions, so I did not
want to risk this.

Hence, I went back and selected custom layout. I selected sda5 to
be reformatted and it all looked great. The progress bar appeared
at the bottom and there was a message about the packages being
redied for installation or something like that. I noticed the
transmission lights on my router flashing wildly and I emitted a
contented purr as the installation appeared to be progressing
successfully. I was so sure that I was on the verge of also doing
my laptop. Success, at last....!!!

Suddenly, a window appeared with the message:

This is a fatal error and installation will be aborted.

script error with package mariadb-server

The birds are chirping and the massive thunderstorm has moved to
the east. I am just not having any luck with Fedora 19. I think I
really will wait until Fedora 19 is released. Yet another few hours
wasted, yet another CD in the wastebasket...