Install Plasma Resources???

Lester M Petrie lmpetrie at bellsouth.net
Fri Mar 8 01:32:53 UTC 2013

On 02/27/2013 08:53 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Lester M Petrie wrote:
>> I installed F18 last week, and now when I log in, I get a pop up message
>> box with the subject as the title.  The top line then says "Plasma
>> requires an additional service for this operation".  Then there is an
>> icon with "script engine" out to the side.
>
> So this is very strange, normally it should be asking for some specific
> script engine, like "python script engine" or "ruby script engine". Just
> asking for "script engine" looks broken to me, and it's no big surprise that
> it isn't finding it. (The empty string is not a valid scripting language.
> ;-) )
>
>> The only other strange thing that I observe that might possibly be
>> connected is that when I try to start yumex, it fails with a message
>> YUM: The value for the SHELL variable was not found the /etc/shells file
>
> This may or may not be related.
>
> It's possible (but not necessarily the case) that both problems are symptoms
> of a more profound issue.
>
>          Kevin Kofler

I haven't found a solution to the Plasma Resources problem yet, but the
yumex problem was because sudo activates /usr/bin/bash as the shell,
while /etc/shells had /bin/bash.  I added /usr/bin/bash and yumex works
fine.  As far as I can tell, I am not missing any plasma resource
(unless there is a resource for saving special window settings).

--
Lester M Petrie