windows envy

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sun Mar 24 02:26:25 UTC 2013

Neal Becker wrote:
> I'm rarely jealous of windows users.  When I make a presentation using my
> wide- screen laptop, using a crappy projector that is limited to
> 1280x1024, the best I can figure is to put the projector 'right of' and
> the laptop on the left,
> leaving the laptop at it's native res and the projector at 1280x1024.
> Works, but awkward - for one thing can't see the presentation on the
> laptop.
>
> I noticed my colleague (windows 7?) did a sort of clone, where the
> projector got his 1280x1024, while the laptop kept the native res, but the
> image was narrowed.

That's similar to what I get when I use my notebook with the intel driver. I
plug a projector, KDE offers me to set resolutions, I set both LCD and
projector to 1024×768, and on the LCD, I get 1024×768 (cloned from the
projector) zoomed to 1200×800 and letterboxed left and right to the native
1280×800.

> Hey, that's just what I need.  I guess the world of X, kde, nvidia, etc
> doesn't do this?

Your problem there is nvidia. Its support for XRandR is broken and
incomplete. Try Nouveau.

        Kevin Kofler