qt-4.8/kde-4.10.1 now available for rhel6

Rex Dieter rdieter at fedoraproject.org
Mon Mar 25 13:57:59 UTC 2013

On 03/01/2013 10:41 AM, Rex Dieter wrote:
> folks have repeatedly asked about newer/featureful kde builds for rhel6
> over the years, and I've put off mostly due to lack of interest and
> time... until yesterday.
> My strategy so far is to minimize upgrading core el6 packages as much as
> reasonably possible.  We'll see how far that takes us.

OK, first pass stuff ready for initial public testing and comment.

Included so far:
qt-4.8.4
kde-4.10.1
amarok-2.7.0
calligra-2.6.2
digikam-3.1.0 (includes kipi-plugins)
konversation-1.4

and available from kde-unstable repo for el6.  Just plop
http://kdeforge.unl.edu/apt/kde-redhat/epel/kde.repo
into /etc/yum.repos.d/
and enable kde-testing and kde-unstable repos

Requires one enable EPEL-6:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL

Optional addons available from:
http://rpmfusion.org/Configuration

KNOWN ISSUES
* solid HAL backend not used by default
One known issue is that kde will not use it's solid HAL backend until
you manually define environment variable SOLID_HAL_LEGACY.  I tested
adding a snippet ~/.kde/env/SOLID_HAL_LEGACY.sh containing:
SOLID_HAL_LEGACY=1; export SOLID_HAL_LEGACY
I may address this to set that automatically somehow.

-- rex