qt-4.8/kde-4.10 (hopefully) for rhel6 coming soon

Alf Birger Rustad alf at mykolab.com
Sun Mar 31 11:10:53 UTC 2013

Great! I believe the next natural target is Kontact, but we already know that
is a bit of hard work. Michael Pyne did the tedious task of tracking down and
fixing dependency problems, and you will find Raptor2 and Rasqal particularly
troublesome. His work will ease the challenge of building up-to-date Kontact
with dependencies on RH6. Once I return to office, I can forward it to you.

Personally I am particularly interested in getting Kontact working with
Exchange, and have been chasing that for quite some time. The current Akonadi
plugin for Exchange resides in playground.

Which brings me to another issue, sooner or later you will collide with the
KDE packages already included in RHEL. AFAIK, EPEL packages are not supposed
to touch or break Red Hat supported packages. I guess that policy makes
updated KDE packages very difficult to provide. Personally I would love to have
the option of updating also the KDE packages currently supported by Red Hat,
what is your thoughts on that?

Cheers,
Alf