Apper inconsistent with yum and dnf

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Fri Dec 5 02:31:12 UTC 2014

On 12/05/14 07:54, Peter G. wrote:
> Regularly, after having updated my F21 system with dnf,
> I notice that apper suddenly indicates that there are a
> few updates available. I rerun dnf and it says nothing
> to do. Then, I sometimes even try yum and it also
> indicates that no packages are available for update.
>
> Why does apper constantly tell me there are updates
> available, even after I just upgraded? What
> repositories does it access that the others don't? For,
> when I click the install button in the apper plasmoid,
> something does appear to occur, although it is not
> possible to tell, from the lack of output, whether an
> upgrade is, in fact, enacted, but I would presume so.
>
> What is happening?

My understanding is that with F20 and PackageKit-yum-plugin installed you have....

PackageKit-yum-plugin tells PackageKit to check for updates when yum exits.
This way, if you run 'yum update' and install all available updates, puplet
will almost instantly update itself to reflect this.

This includes apper.

With PackageKit 1.0.1 the plugin feature seems to have been moved into the main body of code.

dnf doesn't have this functionality.

There is a thread about this from 11/10.