Does Fedora want to expel KDE from its offerings?

Isaac Cortés González w.isaac.cortes at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 02:58:26 UTC 2014

> I cannot help noticing: the Fedora Project is monumentally unfriendly to KDE
> these days.

Well from my POV that is very far from reality, and it says so an
average Fedora user and
a full-time user since the 14th edition. The reason why I downloaded Fedora 10
(the first Fedora that I have downloaded in my life) was because of KDE.

> Look at their Product offerings: Cloud, Server, Workstation. And as far as
> Fedora's officials are concerned, Workstation = GNOME. GNOME now and GNOME
> forever. GNOME, all GNOME, and nothing but GNOME.

Again, maybe it's the hype of the release, and let's be realistic: few
people choose
Fedora because of KDE. I don't hink that this is due because of hostile policies
against any particular DE or in general, you may think it like a type
of tradition,
like any other stigma around the free software from the outside

> With the F21 release, they grudgingly let you upgrade with the "nonproduct"
> option.

> But what happens with F22? Will they Shanghai all us KDE users and force us
> to switch to GNOME, or else get out of the Fedora community?

You will still allowed to do it as you do with the 21 edition?

> Where is the option to specify KDE as a Product?

>From my stand side to name KDE a whole product apart from the other three
is an useless marketing exercise. The Workstation product isn't just the GNOME
desktop, or that isn't its only feature; but a KDE product will just
focus in the fact
the default DE would be KDE, and, again, the DE isn't the main part of
an OS, and
not the only tool on it, or shouldn't be.

        -Isaac C.