Does Fedora want to expel KDE from its offerings?

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Mon Dec 15 01:47:48 UTC 2014

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> On Sun, 2014-12-14 at 13:34 +0100, Richard Z wrote:
>> do we really need any of it for fedup? I would think people use fedup to
>> upgrade, not to switch to a different product.
>
> If that were true, we wouldn't need any options and fedup would just
> upgrade whatever the user already had.

That's the point.

Those options were added to FedUp (and forced to be used by just refusing to
proceed by default instead of simply defaulting to --product=nonproduct)
with almost no evidence of user demand. (When I asked, they had to admit not
having any real data, they only "asked around" in a group composed mostly of
GNOME developers to find that upgrading to a Product was the "expected"
behavior.)

>> Why would a gnome user want to type "fedup --product=workstation" instead
>> of "fedup --product=nonproduct" - other than because of the misleading
>> commandline options?
>
> Sorry, can't parse what you're getting at here.

He's saying that the expected behavior of FedUp is clearly
--product=nonproduct and thus that should be the default or only option
instead of being required to be explicitly passed (and I agree with that).

> Part of my objection is simply to the term "product", which I think is
> unfortunate. I was pushing "model" as slightly better.

"Product" is being replaced anyway because Red Hat Marketing doesn't like it
(because Fedora is not a commercially supported product of Red Hat), the
Council is looking for alternatives, with "Flavor" being the current working
term. So you can propose the "Model" term to the Fedora Council.

        Kevin Kofler