Update Disables Desktop Effects

Peter Gueckel pgueckel at gmail.com
Sun May 4 06:20:39 UTC 2014

bitlord wrote:

> nteresting, about older intel chipsets and graphics (I have few GM45
> machines), I had some issues when kernel randomly reportes multiple
> warnings, but system still works fine. Maybe it is related,
> message/trace starts with this line
> [45.126000] localhost.localdomain kernel: ------------[ cut here
> ]------------ [   45.126038] localhost.localdomain kernel: WARNING:
> CPU: 1 PID: 1235 at drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915_irq.c:1239
> i965_irq_handler+0x5a2/0x6b0 [i915]() [   45.126039]
> localhost.localdomain kernel: Received HPD interrupt although disabled
> (I don't want to post whole output, probably not needed) and when it
> happens it show multiple errors related to i915.
>
> And this is fixed in
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/drm-intel/commit/?id=3ff04a160a891e56cdcee5c198d4c764d1c8c78b

I don't know how to get a trace like you did. Nor do I understand anything
in that link. Something in intel drm is fixed :-) I don't know which
package that is. I suppose we will be getting it soon?

However, I did upgrade the laptop. Very strange! It is much older than the
desktop.

Desktop has INTEL X3000 (Chipset 965G) graphics. It will not run KDE
desktop effects with kernel 3.14.2, but will with kernel 3.13.10 and
earlier. There are no mce errors.

Laptop has INTEL (Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express) graphics. It will run
KDE desktop effects with kernel 3.14.2 and there have been no mce errors
yet, after 10 minutes (I don't know what triggers them). With the previous
3.13 kernels, desktops effects also worked fine, but I was getting mce
errors, even though there did not appear to be any indication of a
malfunction. There was no /var/log/mcelog and running mcelog>output
produced only an empty file. Go figure.