Update Disables Desktop Effects

Eli Wapniarski eli at orbsky.homelinux.org
Wed May 7 06:57:04 UTC 2014

K... Just a quick follow through.... And this is very cursive cause I gotta
head to work.

While desktop effects seem to work with the new kernel and some chipsets, there
does seem to be a big hit on graphics performance.

I need to test with glgears. Any advice on a more extensive test for graphics
performance??

Oh.... while I'm at it. Is there anyway to tell yum not to uninstall a specific
kernel version??

Thanks

Eli

On Friday 02 May 2014 12:49:47 Peter Gueckel wrote:
> I updated to kde-workspace-4.11.9-4.fc20.1.kde413.x86_64 this morning,
> turned the computer off/on and logged in. Kwin crashed immediately. I logged
> out and got only a black screen and therewith, vt1 was hung. I logged in to
> vt2 and killed gdm, then back to vt1 and logged in again. I noticed that
> the active edges no longer worked and then saw that all of the desktop
> effects are disabled. I tried to enae and was told that there are 20
> effects that have errors and the desktop effects cannot be enabled.
>
> Prior to this morning's updates, everything was fine.

believed to be clean.