PwManager mangled for good

Patrick Boutilier boutilpj at ednet.ns.ca
Wed May 14 17:58:15 UTC 2014

> On Wed, 2014-05-14 at 07:31 -0400, Neal Becker wrote:
>>> And can anyone recommend a good password-management solution other
>> than
>>> a handwritten Little Black Book of passwords?
>>>
>>> Temlakos
>> lastpass seems pretty nice
>
> I'm a satisfied user of LastPass on all my machines, tablets and phones,
> with both Firefox and Chrome, but of course it's not free software. A
> discussion on the main Fedora Users list a few months back threw up
> several alternatives, of which KeePass (http://keepass.info/) seems to
> be the strongest, though there doesn't appear to be a Fedora package for
> it. It's not a drop-in replacement for LastPass but there are ways to
> export your encrypted keyring to a cloud service such as Dropbox or
> Google Drive, albeit manually. It depends on how easy you want it all to
> be versus how important you take the free vs closed issue with password
> managers.
>
> poc

There is a gui version called keepassx in Fedora.

rpm -qi keepassx

Name        : keepassx
Version     : 0.4.3
Release     : 8.fc20
Architecture: x86_64
Install Date: Fri 20 Sep 2013 02:59:43 PM ADT
Group       : User Interface/Desktops
Size        : 2972110
License     : GPLv2+
Signature   : RSA/SHA256, Tue 06 Aug 2013 11:13:06 PM ADT, Key ID
2eb161fa246110c1
Source RPM  : keepassx-0.4.3-8.fc20.src.rpm
Build Date  : Sat 03 Aug 2013 10:57:00 PM ADT
Build Host  : buildvm-06.phx2.fedoraproject.org
Relocations : (not relocatable)
Packager    : Fedora Project
Vendor      : Fedora Project
URL         : http://keepassx.sourceforge.net
Summary     : Cross-platform password manager
Description :
KeePassX is an application for people with extremly high demands on secure
personal data management.
KeePassX saves many different information e.g. user names, passwords, urls,
attachemts and comments in one single database. For a better management
user-defined titles and icons can be specified for each single entry.
Furthermore the entries are sorted in groups, which are customizable as
well.
The integrated search function allows to search in a single group or the
complete database.
KeePassX offers a little utility for secure password generation. The
password
generator is very customizable, fast and easy to use. Especially someone who
generates passwords frequently will appreciate this feature.
The complete database is always encrypted either with AES (alias
Rijndael) or
Twofish encryption algorithm using a 256 bit key. Therefore the saved
information can be considered as quite safe. KeePassX uses a database format
that is compatible with KeePass Password Safe for MS Windows.