Ark - 4.14.1 Unar/Unrar

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Mon Sep 22 17:10:00 UTC 2014

Colin J Thomson wrote:
> I stumbled across this small issue today when opening a rar file directly
> from say Dolphin Ark would fail with an error. Using Unrar from a shell
> the file would unpack fine.
>
> Looking at the Ark-4.14 changelog I see support for Unar had been added
> which I did not have installed. Since installing Unar all is good now.

Now this is weird, because the patch which adds unar support does not remove
unrar support. IMHO, Ark should detect that unar is not installed and fall
back to the lower-priority unrar if you have that. I think this issue (lack
of automatic fallback to lower-priority backends) should be taken upstream.

What you can do if you want to use unrar is change the priorities in the
kerfuffle_*.desktop files.

That said, we recommend using unar because it is Free Software, unlike
unrar.

        Kevin Kofler