criterion update: add "switch user" to Shutdown, reboot, logout

Martin Bříza mbriza at redhat.com
Wed Feb 4 15:15:37 UTC 2015

On Tue, 03 Feb 2015 15:43:01 +0100, Dan Mossor <danofsatx at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 02/02/2015 09:48 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>> Matthias Clasen wrote:
>>> Testing it is fine of course, but I don't really think we should block
>>> on this. Also worth considering: user switching has never worked 100%
>>> reliably, so increased qa focus may just uncover old heisenbugs, and
>>> turn them into blocking issues.
>>
>> Maybe for GNOME it hasn't. For KDE, using KDM or SDDM, user switching
>> has
>> always just worked. Nowadays, it should just work with GDM too, but of
>> course it can be subject to bugs and undocumented behavior changes in
>> GDM
>> (which wouldn't be a first).
>>
>> IMHO, adding user switching to the blocker criteria is a good idea.
>> Bugs in
>> user switching can easily lead to data loss, either directly (e.g., if
>> user
>> switching crashes the machine) or indirectly (e.g., if, due to user
>> switching not working, somebody just logs the other account off without
>> caring about running processes, or even hits the power or reset button
>> if
>> the session is locked).
>>
>>          Kevin Kofler
>
> +1 - Agreed, or whatever. Since switching to KDE, I've not had _any_
> issues with user switching in KDM or SDDM. You are correct in stating
> that it doesn't work in GNOME. This is one of the reasons I use KDE
> (among many other) - my family shares a computer, and we switch users
> all day; this feature was one thing we used heavily on Windows and was a
> requirement before I introduced Fedora to them.
>
> With all that said, I feel adding user switching to the blocker criteria
> is a logical step - this is 2015. It has worked on Windows since Windows
> Vista, circa 2003. I use it at home, and I use it at work as an
> administrator to fix problems for my users without needing to log them
> out.
>
> Just because it doesn't work on GNOME isn't a valid reason not to test
> it and block on it if it is a feature that is used and depended on.

Well, you don't get user switching (and the kickoff item) every time
something's messed up with your PAM session. This is not exclusive to GDM
though, SDDM suffered from this a lot too in past. Changing something in
PAM, PAM configs or the DMs can bring the problem back.
Anyway I agree this should be tested.