Rather OT - what is this icon?

Daniel Vrátil dvratil at fedoraproject.org
Tue Oct 13 15:15:09 UTC 2015

On Tuesday, October 13, 2015 5:06:28 PM CEST Timothy Murphy wrote:
> What is the syringe-like icon which appears on all plasma pages
> in the "title bar" at the top of the page, second place on the left?
> And what exactly is its function?
> When I left click on it, it turns into a small white disk
> with a dot in the centre.
> If I click on it again, it turns back to the syringe icon.
> When I right click on it, nothing happens.

It's not a syringe, but a pin :-) When you click it, it pins the window to all
virtual desktops.

I must say however that it feels a bit "magic" with no clear explanation or
analogy, took me a bit to discover what it does :)

> More generally, is there a page online somewhere
> that outlines the anatomy of a plasma page?

There's https://userbase.kde.org/KWin but I'm not sure how much up-to-date it
is.

> When I hover over any icon in the panel I am told what it is;
> and if I right-click on it I'm told more about it.
> But when I hover over, or right click on, icons in the title bar
> I get no response.
> That seems unfortunate to me.

+1, I could swear that there used to be tooltips when hovering mouse over the
action buttons in titlebar....

Dan

--
Daniel Vrátil
www.dvratil.cz | dvratil at fedoraproject.org
IRC: dvratil on #fedora-kde #kde-devel, #kontact and #akonadi