KDE (taskbar) panel and multiple monitors and latest kernels, oh my

Mark Haney mark.haney at vifprogram.com
Tue Oct 20 13:51:36 UTC 2015

I have a multi-layered problem here that's bugged the snot out of me for
weeks. I've finally given up finding an answer myself and turn to the list
for help.

Here's my issue(s). I'm running F22 on a Lenovo ThinkPad T440S laptop. I
have 2 monitors attached to the laptop, one using the mini-DP port (27")
the other the external VGA port (21").  As I have meetings all over the
office, I frequently unplug the display cables for meetings, then return to
my desk and reconnect, and this is when things go pear shaped.

When I connect the monitors back the taskbar switches to the 27" monitor.
I don't want it there, but couldn't find a way to move it, other than to
remove the panel and add it back to the laptop display.  Is there another
way of doing that? I've tried everything I can think of and nothing works.

Second, for some reason, the newer kernels (4.1.10 and 4.2.3, I'm on 4.1.8
now), upon booting into them blanks my laptop screen leaving me with two
displays.  WTH is that happening and how do I stop it?

And third, when I removed the original taskbar panel to move it to the
laptop display, I lost the Fedora 'Start button' logo and have only the KDE
logo.  Yes, it's minor, but it irritates me, so is there any way to fix
that?

I'm not a Fedora or KDE n00b, but this is driving me nuts.  Any ideas?

--

Mark Haney ::: Senior Systems Engineer
*VIF* International Education

Global learning for all.