Stepping down from KDE SIG

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Oct 30 20:57:24 UTC 2015

Sudhir Khanger wrote:
> Folks don't like to install KDE apps on non-KDE environments because it
> pulls 100s of deps. I would like to see some statistics if that problem
> has been resolved with the framework thing.

The NUMBER of dependencies has actually INCREASED with Frameworks, due to
the splits. The SIZE may or may not have decreased. It depends on the
application. Sadly, most nontrivial applications end up dragging in almost
anything anyway, so I am not convinced that the splits were worth the extra
pain for packagers (packaging so many packages, tracking the dependencies)
and the occasional feature loss or code duplication that the layering
approach required.

        Kevin Kofler