lancelot menu in F23

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Tue Sep 8 08:58:54 UTC 2015

On Tue, Sep 8, 2015 at 10:40 AM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:

> Am 08.09.2015 um 04:15 schrieb Kevin Kofler:
>>
>> Reindl Harald wrote:
>>>
>>> hopefully that below don't mean the lancelot menu is gone now with KDE5?!
>>

>> Unfortunately, yes, any Plasma widget (plasmoid) has to be ported (mostly
>> rewritten in QML) for Plasma 5. Lancelot was not ported, so it is gone.
>> :-(
>

> in other words:
>
> when F21 goes EOL i have to suck lose nearly anything which can be called my
> workflow just because Fedora again like the KDE3->KDE4 transition way too
> early pushed KDE5 and all that "the transition to KDE5 will not be the same
> tradegy as with Fedora 9" is just wishful thinking, not calling it a lie

Plasma 5 was released more than one year ago - so I'd not say it was
too early, Fedora even wasn't the first distribution that adopted
Plasma 5. And yes, unfortunately we lost some old Plasmoids where
theirs authors lost interest in it and did not rewrite it for Plasma 5
in that one year... I retired a few packages. But these were
unmaintained for years.

I'm not saying it was completely flawless transition but it was more
or less new Plasma and mix of KDE 4 and KF5 apps with common Breeze
theming and at the point when Fedora switched, it was in a pretty good
shape. I was one of the most conservative guy from KDE SIG when we
planned the transition and I'm happy Plasma 5 user now (exception are
dual head issues).

The best thing you can do at the moment is to approach Lancelot menu
upstream and ask what's the porting status (or even if there are any
plans to do so).

Jaroslav