F23ß Issues

P. Gueckel pgueckel at gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 01:02:20 UTC 2015

For the first time ever, I skipped a Fedora release [blush] I
was using Fedora 21 until Tuesday, when I installed Fedora
23ß to an empty partition :-)

It's too early to say, but I have encountered a few issues:

1. When logging out, the screen goes blank and the display
manager never appears (gdm); I cannot get to another virtual
termimal, so I have to 'pull the plug' and boot anew :-(

2. The audio volume applet in the system tray doesn't always
appear. I think it might be that pulseaudio is not running,
but I think it says it is. I have tried starting pulseaudio
anyway and I think I've pretty much gotten it to work
reliably for the session.

3. A weird problem with apper and dnf. Apper keeps telling me
that I have a whole slew of new updates, but dnf says there's
nothing to do. Huh? I have cleaned all in dnf and still it
finds nothing. What repos is apper accessing?

4. I installed the rpmfusion free/nonfree branched release
packages but I cannot install a thing. I scanned the site and
they have Fedora 22 packages and the rawhide packages are
labelled fc22 as well. Should I do without multimedia for a
month, or should I just install the rawhide fc22 packages?
Will they automatically be dnf upgraded to the fc23 ones in
October?

---

All in all, I haven't experienced anything too serious,
except for the horrible need to kill the machine when logging
out, but I think there are a lot of great improvements! It is
so much easier to deal with akonadi resources now, instead of
having them in the system settings twice (!) under different
names, as well as in the program configurations. Now, they
are configured in the programs that use them. So much better!
Jovie is way better, too, with it appearing in the system
tray and configuration is right there. I even got it working,
with only a little fiddling with the scheechd.conf file.
Still, it doesn't always start up, likely because of the
pulseaudo problem, but I seem to be able to use it reliably
enough.

I really like KDE5 at Fedora23! [And I was forced to use Gnome
while I was installing and doing the group install of KDE
Workspaces and I've decided that it's pretty slick, too---but
now that I'm back on KDE, I think I'll stay ;-)]