modsign vs build-id

Jarod Wilson jwilson at redhat.com
Tue Aug 14 19:48:16 UTC 2007

Roland McGrath wrote:
>>> Hmm.  Actually the failure mode from before was not "modprobe" problems,
>>> but never getting that far because the insmods in the initrd failed.
>>> Do you have some magical setup that needs no modules?  Or did it really
>>> succeed at boot-time insmods and then modprobe fails?
>> Looks like it really succeeded at boot-time insmods, I've got dm_*,
>> ata_piix, ata_generic, libata, sd_mod, scsi_mod, ext3, jbd, mbcache and
>> {e,o,u}hci_hcd modules all loaded.
>
> Ok, color me ungentlemanly, but I have to ask if you've got the right
> things installed on disk where modprobe is looking.

So far as I know, yeah. I built an rpm and installed it, then booted
from the entry the kernel %post added to grub.conf, same as I've always
done... :)

> I mean, where did you
> get those modules with good signatures for the initrd if the ones on disk
> are bad?

Ya got me, but upon unpacking the initrd, modinfo tells me the bits in
the initrd have the right vermagic. However, the file sizes don't match.
In fact, they aren't even close.

# (cd /tmp/initrd-104/lib; ll ext3.ko)
-rw------- 1 root root 189096 2007-08-14 15:31 ext3.ko

# (cd /lib/modules/2.6.23-0.104.rc3.vsc.fc8/kerne/fs/ext3; ll ext3.ko)
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2719832 2007-08-14 12:46 ext3.ko

Okay, so I rebuilt the initrd and bounced the box... And there's the
expected kernel panic. So now I'm thoroughly confused as to where the
hell the modules that at least booted the system came from...

--
Jarod Wilson
jwilson at redhat.com