RFC: re-enable auto loading of floppy driver when the PNP info says there is a floppy

Christopher Brown snecklifter at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 21:05:41 UTC 2010

On 12 April 2010 21:50, Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 06:38:59 +1000,
>  Dave Airlie <airlied at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> The thing was the window where this patch applied was about 3-4 weeks in
>> rawhide, it went in upstream, it slowed boot down on lots of my
>> machines, I nuked it.
>>
>> So Fedora behaviour should not have changed across this patch.
>
> I think a related change was made to the Fedora udev scripts at about the
> same time.
>
> I definitely noticed a change. One day I went to copy some stuff to floppy
> and I couldn't mount the floppy drive. I eventually found out what needed
> to be done, so it isn't a big deal for me anymore. But my machines with
> floppy drives still don't get /dev/floppy created unless I run modprobe floppy.

Which is what people who still use floppies (for some reason only
known to themselves) can do if they need the functionality.

By all means stick it in release notes but I distinctly remember
reading somewhere about Fedora being "bleeding edge" or something and
to be discussing how best to enable legacy magnetic storage devices
which hold less than 2MB of data in 2010 is a bit ... embarassing.

The argument about this being required for places where they cannot
afford flash drives or CD-RW doesn't hold much weight either as flash
storage is so cheap and floppy disks so scarce and have such small
capacity that floppy drives are all but useless.

--
Christopher Brown