Changing default module options

Stanislaw Gruszka sgruszka at redhat.com
Wed Mar 24 09:49:19 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 09:30:24AM +0800, Zhu Yi wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-03-23 at 19:03 +0800, Stanislaw Gruszka wrote:
> > Ah, ok. So only additional cost with "paged Rx" and swcrypto is a
> > memcpy, which is theoretically rather small cost compared with doing
> > tx/rx cryptography in main cpu.
> >
> > So, what about turn on swcrypto by default upstream?
>
> hwcrypto offloads cryptography to the device. It saves host CPU cycles
> so it's a good thing to do.

Have you did benchmarking ? :-P

Question is how swcrypto=1 hurts, does we have any valuable data
for that?

> The bug #519154 doesn't affect most people
> and only for 4965.

Don't like logic in that sentence.

>  #556990 doesn't look like swcrypto related, need to
> do more investigation.

User reported swcrypto=1 helps with it on 2.6.32.

> So I don't think we should use swcrypto=1 by
> default in upstream. Users are free to do so in their /etc/modprobe.d
> though.

I think many users don't know about, and just live whit random crashes
from time to time, or switch back to windows :-/

Stanislaw