NX emulation

Kees Cook kees at ubuntu.com
Wed May 26 04:11:09 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 11:45:44PM -0400, Kyle McMartin wrote:
> On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 04:37:13PM -0700, Kees Cook wrote:
> > Hi Kyle,
> >
> > Here's my linux-2.6 branch with 3 NX-emulation patches stacked on top:
> >
> > http://kernel.ubuntu.com/git?p=kees/linux-2.6.git;a=summary
> >
> > I think all three should be merged, but I kept them separate for your
> > review.
>
> Can I pull this tree from somewhere?

Yes, the git URL for this is:

git://kernel.ubuntu.com/kees/linux-2.6.git

In looking at how "exec-shield" is used, I was thinking that maybe the
"nonexec" flag should be used instead.  It could have multiple settings,
maybe.  It seems like it could be used for:

off
hw-only
emu-if-needed

There also seems to be the "2" setting which ignores the stack-exec
markings, but that seems like it should be a separate feature.  If we can
clean it up a little more, I'd really like to try to for upstream
inclusion.  I know there has been resistance to it in the past, but
nearly every distro includes this patch set now; it's silly not to have it
upstream.

The second commit "x86: clean up nx-emu for ia32-only" adds a bunch more
#ifdef CONFIG_X86_32 around things, mostly I think the primary change in
behavior that would be visible to Fedora would be having the "exec-shield"
sysctl vanish on x86_64, and to fall back to mainline ASLR in the non-emu
case.

> > Is there a better place (public Fedora mailing list?) for me to send these?
> >

> fedora-kernel-list at redhat.com if you want.

Done!  :)

-Kees

--