NX emulation

Roland McGrath roland at redhat.com
Thu May 27 21:55:59 UTC 2010

> Hmm, that was my intention.  I am new to using topic branches, so I'm
> probably screwing something up here.  AFAICT, I do only have the 3 nx-emu
> patches on top of current linux-2.6's master.  What do you see when you try
> that git log?  (Note that I just rebased again against linux-2.6 today.)

The new one is right.  Thanks.

> Sorry I wasn't clear about this one; it's a fix for a problem introduced
> by the exec-shield ASLR.  Mainline does not suffer from this problem, which
> is why I was hoping other folks here would want to look at it.

I did gather that.  I just meant that integrating it all piecemeal upstream
with all those folks contributing to the review is the best way to go about
the whole thing.

> Well, mostly I wanted to collapse Ubuntu's 3 nx-emu patches into a single
> patch, which is the same as what Fedora uses so we can all be on the same
> page, hence the git branch, etc.

Let's take a crack at upstream being the thing we're sharing between our
two kernel forks. ;-)

> I will add parameterizing the upstream ASLR to my TODO list, but I don't
> think it'll get prioritized up to the top for a while.  If anyone else
> pokes at this, please let me know and we can compare notes.

Nobody around here has touched this any more than absolutely necessary in
years now.  It's possible someone will be motivated, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Thanks,
Roland