upstream exec-shield git tree

Kees Cook kees at ubuntu.com
Tue Nov 9 01:34:09 UTC 2010

Hi Roland,

On Mon, Nov 08, 2010 at 04:59:54PM -0800, Roland McGrath wrote:
> It seems to take an unpredictable interval between one minute and ~30
> minutes for the anonymous git.kernel.org trees to update.  I'm sure you can
> get a kernel.org account if you ask, and ssh://master.kernel.org/ URLs
> (replacing git://git.kernel.org/) have the real stuff immediately.

Yeah, I'm a kernel.org admin. I just didn't want to do a full checkout from
master when I could just wait a few minutes. :)

> I merged both of those.  I was counting the previously-agreed-upon removal
> of the useless boot parameter as trivial.

Ah-ha! Excellent, thanks.

> > > * 32bit-mmap-exec-randomization
> > >
> > > Your patch's comment says "in the case of NX emulation", but this has
> > > nothing directly to do with that.  So that comment is just confusing in
> > > an area that's already too complex for anyone to keep track of.
> >
> > Do you mean this patch?
> > http://kernel.ubuntu.com/git?p=kees/ubuntu-natty.git;a=commitdiff;h=70bd5bc09737f450d3cdc86a77d570d3c68980a7
>
> No, I meant c1bf3384, the one you'd sent the pull request for.

Ah! Yes, sorry, that comment was from when this patchset was still a single
unit. I will adjust and resend.

> I have no particular opinions about that stuff.  I'd like to see you and
> Ingo (and anyone else who cares) work out a mutually-agreed solution and
> have that upstream.  (Note that AFAIK Ingo is not on this list).  If that

Ah, didn't realize he wasn't seeing this. Okay, I'll make sure it comes up
as we make our way through the list of things-to-upstream.

> > Well, for the Fedora kernel, it looks like Dave removed my ASLR w/ nx-emu
> > conditional element. (See urls above.) I'm fine with keeping that patch
> > out of the tree if we can't agree on it, but I'd like to try to convince
> > you (Dave? Ingo?) otherwise so we can all have the same patchset.
>
> I'd also like you and Dave to agree on something.  I don't really care what.

Dave, what do you think about it?

-Kees

--
Kees Cook