Fan+heat troubles on MacBook Pro

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Mon Nov 29 16:21:46 UTC 2010

On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 10:36:33PM +0100, christoffer.buchholz at gmail.com wrote:

> I own a MacBook Pro which I bought brand new in January 2010. I have tried
> running Fedora 14 (and 13) on it, but I am having some troubles. Especially,
> the fan is not functioning properly which leads to very hot temperatures
> nearing 70 degrees celcius when I am not doing more than running irssi in a
> terminal.

There's two things that are at play here. The first is that we don't
implement power management for nvidia GPUs yet, so your GPU is busy
generating piles of heat all the time. The other is that Apple don't use
any kind of standard thermal control interface. We can't control their
fans through ACPI. We can influence their fan behaviour through the SMC
interface, but we have no idea what the correct OS interaction behaviour
is.

This leaves two real options. First, if you have Apple hardware, run OS
X. Alternatively, I need to spend some quality time with recent Apples
owned by people who don't mind if I melt them.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org