performance testing rawhide.

Kyle McMartin kyle at mcmartin.ca
Fri Sep 24 04:34:30 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 11:24:54PM -0400, Dave Jones wrote:
> I dunno. at this point, I'm torn over whether to keep pushing in this direction.
> The spec is already getting ugly with all those damn %defines.

If everyone is going to end up running -nodebug, and we're going to keep
asking them to reproduce on the debug variant, what's the point of not
just continuing as we're doing now?

Having people flip flop between -nodebug and default between release and
not is just silly, we might as well just use -nodebug by default all the
time. (I mean, really, the amount of useful stuff that -debug has caught
versus the sheer amount of noise it generates is just ridiculous.)

Alternately, since we now have no-frozen-rawhide, maybe we just
institute a policy where rawhide runs with -debug on permanently, and we
flip the switch when we branch on released kernels. 90% of the benefits
from -debug will get caught then, and the other 10% wouldn't've got
caught anyway since the bugs won't even be found until three weeks after
release when there's now a couple hundred thousand people running it.

--Kyle.