Distro kernel update

Paul Bolle pebolle at tiscali.nl
Fri Sep 2 07:46:57 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-09-01 at 12:22 -0500, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
> Has anyone made 2.6.40 packages install on F14?  Unfortunately the F15
> kernel package needs some other stuff, and due to all of the systemd
> changes I'm not sure it would boot OK.
>
> I would happily deploy a 2.6.40 on my remaining F14 machines even if I
> had to pull it from an external repo.

v2.6.40 and v3.0 being actually the same thing, I can tell that about a
week ago I wrote this to this list:
> A related anecdote: I'm currently running a (Rawhide derived, locally
> rebuilt) v3.0.x kernel package on F14 (this is a laptop with a rather
> boring setup). To get that package installed I also backported (ie,
> rebuilt locally) mdadm-3.2.1-5 and module-init-tools-3.16-2. No
> obvious breakage, at least not yet...
>
> But the obvious disclaimer for stuff like this is: if it breaks, you
> get to keep the pieces.

I still have not encountered any obvious problems due to some v3.0 and
F14 mismatch.

There are some downsides to this solution (eg, it's a lot of work).
Besides, I'm pretty sure it's not worth the effort (even if using
prebuilt packages) for those few months of life still left in F14.

Paul Bolle