CONFIG_NR_CPUS

Prarit Bhargava prarit at redhat.com
Mon May 21 12:42:12 UTC 2012

On 05/20/2012 06:20 PM, Xose Vazquez Perez wrote:
> On 05/20/2012 03:07 AM, Josh Boyer wrote:
>
>>> intel: 4sockets * 10cores * 2threads = 80
>>
>> Which particular CPU/Motherboard combo is that, and how often do we see
>> it in Fedora?
>
> - Xeon E7:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nehalem_%28microarchitecture%29#Server_.2F_Desktop_Processors_2
>

> http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/x/hardware/enterprise/x3850x5/index.html
> http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF04a/15351-15351-3328412-241644-4222584.html?dnr=1
>
> http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/poweredge-r910/pd
>
> - Opteron 6200:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_Opteron_microprocessors#Opteron_6200-series_.22Interlagos.22_.2832_nm.29
>

> http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/x/hardware/rack/x3755m3/index.html
> http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF04a/15351-15351-3328412-241644-3328422.html?dnr=1
>
> http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/poweredge-r815/pd
> http://www.supermicro.nl/Aplus/motherboard/Opteron6000/SR56x0/H8QG6-F.cfm
>
> [.....]

Xose,

We should start supporting these in Fedora.  These are not unusual to find in
systems.

Josh, the reality is that 64 isn't "enough" anymore.  Even deskside systems are
starting to ship with 32 cores, so increasing the number of CPUs to 128 is a
good idea.  I've had a lot of experience with larger systems.  The increase in
memory footprint is minimal (a few Kb, not Mb).

I do know that some vendors who do upstream development, do install Fedora on
systems with greater than 64 logical cpus.  It would be good if we could support
them fully.

Jumping to 128 is a very good idea.  We know it is stable given RHEL's support
of 4096 (again, I don't think Fedora should entertain jumping to 4096 for a
variety of reasons).

In short, ACK ;)

P.