nodebug repo feedback

Josh Boyer jwboyer at redhat.com
Fri Nov 16 16:41:01 UTC 2012

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 10:29:41AM -0600, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> Observations:
>
> Not having it obvious in the kernel name that it was a kernel from
> the nodebug repo caused a minor amount of confusion.
>
> A normal rawhide kernel and a nodebug repo kernel both ended up with
> the name 3.7.0-0.rc5.git1.3.fc19.
>
> A normal rawhide nodebug kernel is still being built once per rc.

Yes to all of the above.

> There seems to be a lot of variability in the lag of when a nodebug
> version of any particular rawhide kernel.

It's done on the side.

> Suggestions:
>
> Instead of bumping the release number for nodebug kernels and the
> string ".nodebug" to the end of the release. For example:
> 3.7.0-0.rc5.git1.3.fc19.nodebug

Possible.  Would have to take into consideration upgrade paths and such.

> Always build debug kernels for rawhide.

I'd rather not.  The nodebug repo is a side thing that not everyone
wants to add.  Having one non-debug kernel per RC in real rawhide does
have value.

> Automate building of nodebug kernels so that once a rawhide kernel
> has successfully completed building in koji, the same kernel gets
> rebuilt as a nodebug kernel. Check on the order of hourly.

Not really sure how feasible that is at the moment.  It would have to
trigger off of koji build completion.  Maybe once that is hooked up to
fedmsg.

Though since they're all being built on a private machine that isn't
sitting idle, I don't think that's likely going to happen soon in any
case.

josh