nodebug repo feedback

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Fri Nov 16 18:24:27 UTC 2012

On Fri, 16 Nov 2012 12:16:42 -0600
"Justin M. Forbes" <jforbes at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2012-11-16 at 10:53 -0600, Justin M. Forbes wrote:
>
> > It is actually started much quicker than that. The bigger issue is
> > koji. Because they are done as scratch builds, they get a low
> > priority and can take *much* longer to build than a regular
> > kernel.  For instance, this mornings kernel build was started
> > within minutes of the git commit. Possibly even before the actual
> > rawhide build was started. At this point, the rawhide build has
> > been done for a while, and the nodebug build is still going. Had I
> > waited until the koji build finished to start the nodebug build,
> > you would just be waiting an extra hour or so for your nodebug
> > kernel.
>
> An added data point here:
> rawhide kernel-3.7.0-0.rc5.git2.1.fc19: 53 minute koji build
> nodebug kernel-3.7.0-0.rc5.git2.2.fc19: 4h 8 minute koji build
>
> The nodebug build was started less than 15 minutes after the rawhide
> build was started, it just takes a lot longer to complete.

Additional, and likely main reason why this is:

Official kernel builds go to a pair of kernel builder boxes which only
build kernel, grub2, shim for secure boot. Since nothing else builds on
them, they are mostly idle and ready and have lots of capacity.

Scratch kernel builds go into the normal koji pool and get a random
builder and are at lower priority than any official build, so they get
pushed to the end of the queue.

Once we have coprs up, it might be faster to build them there...

kevin