why is memory hotplug disabled in f17+

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Tue Nov 20 15:43:13 UTC 2012

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 05:43:16PM +0400, Roman Kagan wrote:
 > As I found out recently, memory hotplug is disabled in f17 and f18
 > kernels (but not in f16).
 >
 > Can anybody please recall the reason for that?
 > The commit doing that is not particularly enlightening:
 >
 > commit 2ee9f1482920f6d831eb6d70458bd0988394982b
 > Author: Dave Jones <davej at redhat.com>
 > Date:   Fri Jan 13 17:33:51 2012 -0500
 >
 >     Disable memory hotplug on x86-64
 >

 > I'd like to propose to re-enable it but I'm trying to figure out why
 > it was disabled in the first place.

That is a pretty terrible changelog. And I don't recall my
reasoning tbh. It was around the time of F17 development where we
disabled a lot of stuff, so it may have just been overly optimistic
that it was unused.

Unless someone else has a good reason not to, we can reenable it.
(How well it works however is unknown to me)

	Dave