PATCH, RFC: handle debug options for rawhide differently

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Wed Nov 21 17:41:04 UTC 2012

Lo!

BTW: @dave, thx for reviewing.

On 20.11.2012 19:57, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 10:00:23PM +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>>
>> How does the patch (against master) look to you guys? Did I miss anything that is needed? Please note that all the changes the patch does to the config-foo files are just those that a "make release" does now. And a lot of stuff is removed from the Makefiles, hence the patch looks big.
> So... I think I might have found one thing.  See below.
>
>>   nodebug: release
>>   	@perl -pi -e 's/^%define debugbuildsenabled 1/%define debugbuildsenabled 0/' kernel.spec
>> -release: config-release
>> +release:
>>   	@perl -pi -e 's/^%define debugbuildsenabled 0/%define debugbuildsenabled 1/' kernel.spec
>>   	@perl -pi -e 's/^%define rawhide_skip_docs 1/%define rawhide_skip_docs 0/' kernel.spec
>>   	@rpmdev-bumpspec -c "Disable debugging options." kernel.spec
> Those two targets aren't mutually exclusive.  So the following bit:
> [..]
> Basically turns a release kernel that doesn't have the debug flavour
> enabled back into a debug kernel.  E.g.  if you're in rawhide (or
> really, wherever) and you do:
>
> 'make release; make nodebug'
>
> you wind up with litterally no changes in the configs.  However, that
> isn't what is expected.  The 'make release' call turns off the debug
> options, and the 'make nodebug' call disables the debug flavour (so
> there's no kernel-debug) build.

Yeah, I think I see the problem. Sorry for missing this. If I got this right,
then this could be solved easily by adding this line to the release target:

@perl -pi -e 's/%define with_release.*/%define with_release   %{?_without_release:   0} %{?!_without_release:   1}/' kernel.spec

The debug target then obviously needs the opposite:

@perl -pi -e 's/%define with_release.*/%define with_release   %{?_with_release:      1} %{?!_with_release:      0}/' kernel.spec

Or am I missing something? Note, I hope I got the two calls above the right way
around, I haven't tested this properly, as I'm on the run, but wanted to answer
your mail.

Cu
knurd