Weirdness with F-18 kernel release number

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Mon Apr 1 13:48:10 UTC 2013

Hi,

On 04/01/2013 03:40 PM, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 9:38 AM, Hans de Goede <hdegoede at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Something is wrong with how the release number for the F-18 kernel
>> package is getting bumped, luckily the actual version is being
>> increased most of the time too, not making it matter much, but
>> still this is clearly wrong:
>
> There's nothing wrong with it.  It's done on purpose.  It isn't luck at
> play here.  The Version is higher, so the release gets reset.

Ah, I see, but not to the usual value of 1 for release resets.

> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/kernel/2013-January/004062.html

And I see there the rational for this is upgrade paths, so F-19 will
get a base release of 301, etc until we get a base release of 1001 ?

I understand the logic, but this does not look pretty, and more over
is confusing for people who are somewhat familiar with packaging, since
all other Fedora packages do always reset the release field to 1 on
a version change...

Regards,

Hans