Weirdness with F-18 kernel release number

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Mon Apr 1 14:04:55 UTC 2013

Hi!

On 01.04.2013 15:40, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 9:38 AM, Hans de Goede <hdegoede at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> Something is wrong with how the release number for the F-18 kernel
>> package is getting bumped, luckily the actual version is being
>> increased most of the time too, not making it matter much, but
>> still this is clearly wrong:
> There's nothing wrong with it.  It's done on purpose.  It isn't luck at
> play here.  The Version is higher, so the release gets reset.
>
>> [hans at shalem ~]$ rpm -q kernel
>> kernel-3.8.3-203.fc18.x86_64
>> kernel-3.8.4-202.fc18.x86_64
>> kernel-3.8.5-201.fc18.x86_64
>>
>> Notice how as the kernel versions get newer the release gets
>> older ...
> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/kernel/2013-January/004062.html

Questions like this seem to come up every now and then on different
mailing lists, forums and IRC since the change that lead to the current
behavior was done a few weeks ago. Even experienced packagers seem to
get confused afaics. I don't think that's worth the time spend, so I'm
going to propose a different solution, even if I know it was shut down
with "no more bikeshedding, we found a solution, move on people" or IRC
a few weeks ago:

Why not simply move the disttag right at the start or %release and then
use a normal number behind it as release number (that would have lead to
this
kernel-3.8.3-fc18.3.x86_64
kernel-3.8.4-fc18.2.x86_64
kernel-3.8.5-fc18.1.x86_64
)? That solves the update path problem when people go from Fedora
<something> to Fedora <something+(1|2)> and doesn't involve numbers in
the hundreds. Or am I missing something?

CU
knurd