kernel-3.9.0-0.rc5.git1.301.fc19 and naming

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Wed Apr 3 14:33:14 UTC 2013

On Wed, Apr 03, 2013 at 10:20:20 -0400,
   Josh Boyer <jwboyer at redhat.com> wrote:
>On Wed, Apr 03, 2013 at 09:12:28AM -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
>> Are rawhide and nodebug kernels going to start using 4xx numbering
>> to stay ahead of the f19 kernels now that they are using 3xx
>> numbering?
>
>Hm.  I think when the numbering scheme went into place, inheritance
>between rawhide and Branched still existed.  Now that it doesn't, we
>need to either do what you ask about, or always make sure the actual
>Version of rawhide is newer (so a newer git snapshot, rc, whatever).

Even with inheritence, since there have been f20 kernel builds it wouldn't
apply.

I think having the same style numbering for all of the kernels has some
visual appeal. It feels odd (to me) looking at both rawhide kernel versions
and released kernel versions currently. So if it isn't extra work, I
have a preference for consistant naming.

The other option would be not to use Yxx numbering for development kernels
and make sure that rawhide and branched get builds at the same time. The
next git bump will be enough to make the use of 301 for f19 once
irrelevant.