SB X-Fi Xtreme Audio

Paul Bolle pebolle at tiscali.nl
Thu Aug 1 18:28:06 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-07-31 at 19:44 +0200, Mateusz Marzantowicz wrote:
> My sound card is not working correctly after migration from Fedora 17 to
> Fedora 19. I can't hear sound on my headphones connected to the front
> panel despite I can see them listed on gnome-control-center. When I pull
> out jack a little I can hear sound in headphones. I've read somewhere
> that it might be cause by wrong pin detection by sound card driver (part
> of Linux kernel) but I can't find out what changes in kernel sources
> might be responsible for this situation. As I said, it worked with all
> kernels in Fedora 17 up to Jun when I migrated to F19.

0) Sound is a mystery to me. But, having said that, I think you need to
try to narrow the scope of your issue.

1) Things I'd try first when faced with an issue like that:
- boot a Fedora 18 live image (via CD, USB, or whatever) and see if you
can get your headphones to work;
- track down the latest Fedora 17 kernel, install it on your Fedora 19
system, and see if your headphone works.

2) All that can amount to a quite a bit of work, requires expertise in
running odd configurations and, especially, in fixing your system when
things go from bad to worse. And, to make sure you're not enthusiastic
about pinpointing this issue, chances are that your issue will be fixed
in some future upgrade for Fedora 19. Or, even worse, that this issue is
caused by some obscure setting that changed during the Fedora 17 to
Fedora 19 upgrade.

3) Feel free to ask for guidance, even off list, if you think it's worth
your time to dive deeper into your issue.

Good luck!

Paul Bolle