dkms + kmp

Josh Boyer jwboyer at redhat.com
Wed Jul 3 00:50:44 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jul 02, 2013 at 09:26:38PM +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> This indicates that we should not be shipping dkms et all so does
> anyone know anything about the current status on this in the working
> group?

DKMS is a framework for rebuilding modules when a new kernel is
installed.  It is primarily targeted at enterprise distributions.  If
someone wants to package and maintain it for Fedora, then I guess that's
a thing they can do.

> What our ( project ) status is in this?

Fedora the project doesn't have any status in DKMS at all.

> What the way forward is supposed to be?

Fedora's approach is to get drivers upstream and they'll naturally get
picked up when we rebase.  We don't provide or ship any pre-built
out-of-tree modules, nor do we support dkms, kmods, or any of the other
module building frameworks from a kernel perspective.  Those are
supported by the additional persons or repositories that provide them.

josh