what is the F19 way to disable ipv6?

James Hogarth james.hogarth at gmail.com
Mon Jul 15 15:22:59 UTC 2013

> It is, it's the task of the kernel to refuse to create ipv6 sockets if
> ipv6 is disabled, certainly not that of the software to find the
> platform specific way of caring if ipv6 is enabled or not.
>
> Open a bug against the kernel if you think this is really an issue (I do
> not see what's the issue if ipv6 really is disabled those sockets are
> just harmless and will never be used).

Given that the 'addresses' presented there are the undefined 'null'
addresses and you are specifically meant to be able to bind to them with no
addresses existing (
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/NetworkTarget/ ... :: and
::1 plus 0.0.0.0 and 127.0.0.1 are defined as unconditionally available)
I'd say that was not a bug at any rate ...

In the event of addresses being added to the interfaces there is no need to
bounce the service to get it to listen on them which would otherwise be the
case...