HZ=1000 in Fedora kernels

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Mon Mar 4 15:31:02 UTC 2013

On Sun, 2013-03-03 at 07:18 -0500, Prarit Bhargava wrote:
> Do we need this anymore, or can it be dropped to something more reasonable like
> HZ=100 or HZ=250?
>
> Does anyone have an actual issue where they require HZ=1000?

I guess it depends what the implementation actually does.  What does HZ
even control these days?  If it controls the scheduler timeslice then
yes I very much do need 1kHz, xserver needs to be able to post a buffer
swap at least every 16ms and if the scheduler only task-switches every
10ms then I stand a very good chance of dropping frames.

Why do you want it lower?

- ajax