Workstation product kernel requirements

Mateusz Marzantowicz mmarzantowicz at osdf.com.pl
Wed Nov 6 08:17:07 UTC 2013

On 05.11.2013 22:42, Josh Boyer wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> My apologies for sending this out so late compared to the other
> product queries.  I will simply claim that I hope the current Fedora
> kernel is already meeting desktop/workstation needs and my delay was
> partially because of that ;).
>
> At any rate, the kernel team would like to know what you see as the
> requirements for the Workstation product.  Thus far the discussions
> with the other product groups has mostly centered around packaging
> changes.  I would imagine Workstation doesn't particularly suffer from
> anything in the current packaging, and could likely share a common
> packaging scheme with Server for the most part.  However, if that
> isn't the case please let us know what you'd like to see from a
> packaging standpoint, keeping in mind we want a single main kernel
> package across all 3 products as much as possible.
>
> On IRC, Matthias mentioned some issues around interactivity and I/O.
> If there are other things like that, please speak to those as well.

I'm not sure it is resolvable only at the kernel level but overall GUI
responsiveness might improve a bit. We should not allow user process to
make whole system become unresponsive. I encounter freezes from time to
time, during which I can only move mouse pointer and must wait for a
minute or two because some IO intensive process is working on the
background.

I also encounter lags when copying larger amount of data to encrypted
volumes (CPU intensive operation) but I'd be more than happy to wait a
bit longer but have some reasonable partition of spare resources for
other tasks.

Mateusz Marzantowicz