Server product kernel requirements

Prarit Bhargava prarit at redhat.com
Wed Oct 30 23:25:53 UTC 2013

On 10/30/2013 02:10 PM, Simo Sorce wrote:
> On Wed, 2013-10-30 at 10:51 -0700, David Strauss wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 10:09 AM, Josh Boyer <jwboyer at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>>> Massive 4096 multi-cored CPU machines with terabytes of DRAM and
>>> petabytes of storage, or more commodity style hardware used in
>>> heterogeneous environments, etc.
>>
>> The latter. We'd want a separate HPC group for 512+ core machines.
>
> Or simply, sites so big can care for their own kernel builds most
> probably, or seek for commercial support.

Why limit it so low?  If we're thinking about going big, well, GO BIG.

Users of Fedora want to support these systems out-of-the-box so they can get an
idea if their systems work.  Stopping at 512 just seems too low these days.

We're talking about saving a very small amount of memory by not going to 4096 ..

P.