Server product kernel requirements

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Thu Oct 31 12:46:56 UTC 2013

On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 8:38 AM, Prarit Bhargava <prarit at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 10/30/2013 07:50 PM, David Strauss wrote:
>> I was, indeed, drawing an arbitrary line, but we must draw the line somewhere.
>> Maybe Fedora 23+ have it set far higher. It's easy to adapt over time to support
>> the high end of commodity servers while still being desktop-friendly; we don't
>> have a long support window.
>>

> Fair enough, but my question is, then, why 512?  If it is completely arbitrary
> why not jump it to a high number that people have requested before and be done
> with it?  Even 1024 would be acceptable to the HPC users I've talked with FWIW.
>
> Josh, would you be okay with 1024?

Maybe?  That seems like it would be fairly reasonable, but knowing
what the overhead numbers are would help.  To be clear, right now we
have things set thusly for NR_CPUS:

arm=8
ppc32=4
ppc64/ppc64p7=1024
s390x=64
i686=32
x86_64=128

I believe our specific discussion here is about x86_64.  I don't think
we're going to change i686 to anything higher than what it's set at
right now.

josh