3.19 Nouveau changes fedback

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Thu Dec 25 05:42:30 UTC 2014

The Nouveau changes in 3.19 fixed one problem I was having (that I didn't
have when I tested the nVidia driver for comparison), but it doesn't fix
some resolution limitations I have.

When playing GOG's homm3 via wine I need to use 800x600 to use the full
screen. When I boot using nouveau the display is 1680x1050 in the desktop.
(When I booted with the nVidia driver the display used a different
resolution.) When I go to the display settings most of the common 4:3
resolutions are supposed to be available, but when I try them the screen
ends scrambled. This makes 800x600 unusable. As a work around I used
scaling via xrandr to make make the screen work as 800x600. When combined
with screen emulation in wine, this almost worked. I had a problem with
a hang in multiplayer hotseat when using nouveau, but not nVidia. However
this last problem is now fixed in 3.19.

For the resolution issue should I be filing bugs for Fedora against
xorg-x11-drv-nouveau or would I be better off going upstream?