Latest kernel in F20 leads to read only file system

Erinn Looney-Triggs erinn.looneytriggs at gmail.com
Thu Feb 20 00:02:54 UTC 2014

kernel-3.13.3-201.fc20.x86_64 seems to lead to file system failures for
me. Kernels < 3.13 however do not have this issue.

At first I thought it was just file system corruption. However, after
approximately 5 reinstalls today the issue continues to surface every
time I move to the 3.13 kernel, whether using BTRFS or ext4.

Behavior for both file systems differs slightly, ext4 complains about a
fair number of errors (sorry I don't have the specifics) and any user is
unable to log into the system, username and password are accepted but
then it immediately return to the login prompt. BTRFS on the other hand
allows logins however, systemd-journal then starts to complain as the
file system appears to be read only.

This could of course be a hardware issue, but I reckoned I would ask
y'all first.

This is running on top of a Lenovo ThinkPad t440p laptop. Any pointers
to how to get you folks some more data would be appreciated. As I said I
have been able to consistently reproduce this issue on this system.

This may or may not be related but I have experienced corruption in the
EFI partition as well, specifically the grub.cfg file was truncated
after the last kernel upgrade, the EFI partition waas not cleanly
unmounted and the dirty bit was set thus precipitating an fsck of the
partition to repair the above issues.

Thanks,
-Erinn