Fedora kernel update

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jul 15 15:41:16 UTC 2014

Hi All,

A brief update on where things stand in regards to the Fedora kernel.

Greg KH recently announced that the 3.14.y stable kernel will be a
longterm kernel release.  Given that F19 is evidently very lightly
used at this point, we're going to remain with 3.14.y until it goes
EOL.  At the moment, 3.14.8 is in stable updates with 3.14.11 in
updates-testing.  3.14.12 is built in koji.  Testing and karma on the
updates-testing releases would be appreciated.

F20 is currently at 3.15.4 with 3.15.5 being pushed likely later
today.  There have been a few regressions with intel video but
hopefully those are starting to clear up.  F20 will stay on 3.15.y
likely until 3.16.1 or 3.16.2 is released.

F21 branched from rawhide last week, but we're keeping the two
branches in sync for now.  Once 3.16 final is released, we'll evaluate
where we are in both the Fedora and upstream kernel release cycles and
see if 3.17 is a good candidate for F21.  At the moment, we're
planning on sticking with 3.16.

Rawhide will continue to churn through upstream releases as usual.  It
is at 3.16-rc5 today.  As side note, I never enabled slub debugging
for the 3.16-rcX builds.  Nobody noticed.  It is possible the people
that typically testing Rawhide kernels are always using the NoDebug
repo (or booting with slub_debug=-), but I find it interesting that
nobody noticed a speedup in the merge window kernels.

Lastly, I recently wrote about the kernel-playground Copr.  As of
yesterday, it is on 3.16-rc5 and contains the latest kdbus and
overlayfs v23.  There have been a few questions about an F21 build,
and I plan on doing that once F21 is available as a chroot in Copr.

As always, if you have any questions please email the list.

josh