Acer laptop problem

Amitakhya Phukan amitakhya at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 16:40:48 UTC 2007

Wise, Jeremey wrote:
> First break things down a bit more:
>
> ".....I have all kinds of I/O errors............"
>
> This (unfortunately) sounds like a hardware issue. Kind of like your
> drive is going bad. Download the manufacture's disk diagnostic utility
> and run it on the hard drive. Do a full scan. If you have issues getting
> grub to initiate and you are getting kernel messages about IO, it has
> always proven to be the drive going bad. You may not have 'seen this
> under previous versions" because you simply were not using that section
> of the hard drive.
>

> IF you pass on the drive test then RSVP with some details on your
> partition layout. Issues related to modules missing etc, could be from
> file level corruption due to bad drive... though the usual response is
> core dump of the kernel. If the system is "shutting off" this again
> could be from the drive being 'flaky'.
>

> Jeremey Wise
> Senior Consultant
> Arrow Enterprise Computing Solutions
> RHCE,MCSE,CNE,PSE,TSM

hi there !

i think so that it is a hard drive problem... but strangely, now i am
not getting any problems..

another thing... what should i use for my broadcom wireless card ?
ndiswrapper or the bcm43xx_fwcutter rpm ? ndiswrapper worked fine for me
during FC5 days...after that for FC6 and F7, ndiswrapper says a better
driver is bcm43xx... but bcm43xx gives lots of error messages...

also, after installing bcm43xx_fwcutter, it is really a pain to view any
of the available networks... my dell laptop (its got an IPW2200) gives a
listing of around 5-6 wireless networks in NetworkManager, but my acer
laptop with broadcom gives me "no wireless networks found" thing..

any workaround for this ??

regards,
amit.