[Fedora-legal-list] New package license review proposal

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Sun Jan 17 03:53:40 UTC 2010

LV> I know lack of reviewers is already a serious bottleneck in the
LV> process; would having a separate cadre of license reviewers mean
LV> more delays?

How could it possibly be so, unless a separate license review was
somehow made a blocker to the process?  That's not what's being
proposed.  At worse, nobody would do separate license reviews and the
regular package reviewers would continue as they do now.  At best, all
packages would be checked for license issues before the regular package
review happens, and package reviewers can avoid worrying about license
issues.  Reality will probably be somewhere in between.  Any separate
license review takes work off of the already far overworked package
reviewers; I can't imagine how that could hurt.

I don't know how fossology works, but if there's any way I can automate
calling it then I'll be happy to look into it.  Currently automation
would be limited to a tool that would pick a ticket which needs license
review, pull down the most recent posted srpm, unpack it and drop you
into a shell to look around, and automatically updating bugzilla.
Plenty of possibility to hang other tools off of that, except that I
don't really know of any that could be run.

 - J<