[Fedora-legal-list] contributor agreements and a wiki mistake

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Tue Sep 7 01:59:07 UTC 2010

I was trying to point at the new project contributor agreement (FPCA),
can mainly find Richard's article on the topic[0] and the draft[1].
So I was going to ask what the status was, then I read this ...

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal:Licenses#The_Contributor_License_Agreement

  The purpose of the Contributor License Agreement (CLA) is to
  establish copyright control under Red Hat, Inc. on behalf of the
  Fedora Project. By having a single entity hold copyright:
                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It goes on to summarize several points that sound inaccurate to me
(I'm not sure our CLA allows us to relicense, I believe we
sub-license, and it's a bit sketchy and not worth cheering about IMHO;
second point seems sketchy, I don't see how the CLA stops someone from
suing anyone, it just makes Red Hat a big target; third point seems
accurate but a bit rough.)

Regardless, the first paragraph is wildly inaccurate with both the CLA
and the intention of the Fedora Project, not even to mention the
intention of Red Hat.

Is this something that needs correcting?  Can someone with editing
auth do it?

Not sure how long that sentence has been there[1], but it may explain
why people think Fedora and Red Hat are trying to get copyright
assignment.

cheers - Karsten

[1] It looks like it came with the import from the MoinMoin wiki in
May 2008; this diff shows the import on the left and the last revision
on the right, and there has been no change to the section in question:

https://fedoraproject.org/w/index.php?title=Legal%3ALicenses&diff=137252&oldid=27879