[Fedora-legal-list] Use of trademarked operating system icons (eg. Windows logo) in Fedora programs

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue Apr 19 21:57:29 UTC 2011

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 05:42:13PM -0400, Tom Callaway wrote:
> On 04/18/2011 06:42 AM, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> > Thinking about this a little more, I guess that the answer might
> > depend upon the specifics of the logo itself.  So here is a list of
> > the logos I would like to use and as best as I can find it the
> > information about trademark restrictions for each one.  Or at least
> > the restrictions that each company is claiming.
>
> The complete answer here is not simple, but I can give you a simple one:
>
> * Don't do it. It would not be acceptable for Fedora. Use the word marks
> instead.
>
> Let me know if that is not sufficient and you want the more complete answer.

Well now I'm interested, more than anything else.  Also using the
icons in this informative way looks neat, see:

http://oirase.annexia.org/tmp/vmm-icons-in-vmlist.png
http://oirase.annexia.org/tmp/vmm-with-logo.png
http://oirase.annexia.org/tmp/vmm-with-logo-2.png

Not sure if you meant that using the Fedora icon would not be
acceptable, or if using any icon in Fedora would not be acceptable.
However not using the icons would be a worse experience for the app user.

Rich.