[Fedora-legal-list] Chrome and VB?

Tom Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Mon Dec 19 14:04:17 UTC 2011

On 12/18/2011 04:46 AM, Christopher Svanefalk wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I have been surprised that - despite their prominence - projects like
> VirtualBox and Chrome (the open source version, built directly from
> Chromium) have not been packaged for Fedora. I might be interested in
> doing this, and just wanted to know if there are any legal hurdles to it
> being done, in case that is the reason it has not been done yet?

WRT Chromium, I have a Fedora package in a personal repo here:

http://repos.fedorapeople.org/repos/spot/chromium-stable/fedora-16/SRPMS/

Unmodified, the bundled copy of ffmpeg would be a legal blocker for
Chromium, but that package has the ffmpeg implementation separated out
and all the legally troublesome material removed.

The reasons why that package is not in Fedora proper are documented here:

http://spot.livejournal.com/312320.html

~tom

==
Fedora Project